Sunday, June 12, 2011

ABANDON

Good morning!

I was going to post something from a woman who has an amazing imagination, but because I want to respect her usage rights I have sent her an email asking if and how I could post a link to her photos with her consent. Hopefully I will be able to share it with you sometime soon.

Until then, I am going to share with you another series of photographs that I like. During my husband's long night shifts he often sends me links from a website called EnglishRussia.com


It's a cool site and so I wanted to share it with you and post a few links. These are from a series of abandoned places, which make for some of the COOLEST photography.


Here are a few of my faves...

These are from Chernobyl, photos taken by Alexandr Vikulov.













An abandoned city (Promyshlennyi)... Photos by Oleg Shvets








If you like these then you'll probably also like...

Kadykchan 

Fire Station & Medical School


Car Factory


Abkhazia



I could easily spend days photographing abandoned buildings & cemeteries... but more on that tomorrow.





 

2 comments:

Holly said...

Great links! There's is something about abandoned things. It's hard to say what is attractive about them. They used to be something, now they are not. And even though there is nothing happening there now, you can feel there used to be. You can really feel it. It's happy and sad and quiet and loud. Maybe it's just that, the contradiction, or the passing from one concept to its opposite - life and death. But even in their death there is something appealing. I love the medical school best.

Stephanie said...

I love old abandoned places... they totally creep me out. Once I had to drop something off in an office somewhere that was in the basement of some old mental institution. OMG... there were still signs on the wall that said things like electroshock therapy this way. Definitely the creepiest place I've visited that's stilla actually in use.