Friday, April 1, 2011

Remembering Bad News Brown

While I was in Colombia we went to an amazing Sunday flea market. As I walked through the rows and rows of artists & vendors I came across a really great harmonica player. I stopped to listen to & watch him play because anything harmonica reminds me of Paul Frappier, Bad News Brown, and with his tragic death still fresh in my heart it was even more special for me to just take a minute to listen, appreciate & remember. I took some photos and continued on my day.

This past weekend Paul's mother was visiting with my mother in Colombia and my mom shared this story with me. 

Together they went to the very same Sunday flea market and they too came upon the very same harmonica player. Of course they stopped. I never spoke to the musician but Paul's mother took out her phone and showed the harmonica player photos of her son... of course he knew exactly who it was. "Ah... Bad News Brown!" What a beautiful moment. Paul's death was news to this fellow harmonica player. He played him a tribute.

Throughout this tragedy the out-pouring of emotion, support, strength, love & memories that have come out of Montreal and the thousands of friends & fans Paul has, has been incredible to say the least. You never stop to think about the people Bad News Brown reached with his music across the globe until the chance comes along for you to be in a flea market in Colombia, South America, and have a fellow harmonica player know exactly who Bad News is. I just thought that was an incredible moment and even thought I wasn't there to be a part of it I still feel it's power.


To Bad News Brown...










No comments: